Thursday, November 5, 2015

Travel Cooking... A quick stir fry because restaurants around here don't serve enough vegetables...

Travel cooking.  It's definitely a different experience, because your ingredient list is different than what you would normally have at home.

However, if you're me, you will probably carry an arsenal of "can't live without" items that make this task a little bit easier (though still creative).  I have a small bucket weighing down my backpack of teeny tiny containers of hot sauce, olive oil, salts and spices and herbs... (the actual contents varies depending on how low the circumstances require my pack weight to be).  At the moment, I have garlic salt, cayenne, a couple of spice blends, dried rosemary and thyme, several varieties of olive oil in very tiny containers (maybe 1 oz. at the most - I got them when I ordered to-go nutrition shots at Arden's Garden), two tabascos in the same containers, and a sriracha to-go key chain.

So, there's that.  If I had to narrow it down to three, it would be olive oil, garlic salt and cayenne pepper, but I've splurged because this is the longest trip I've ever taken and I want to ease into it with some comforts of home.

But I digress...

Today I am in Cartagena, Colombia, where you can't just go to a grocery store and get all the ingredients you want to cook with.  The full-sized supermarket I went into today had very little produce, because most of it is sold in outdoor produce stands.  What I ended up with, as a result, was some yogurt (eaten as an afternoon snack prior to cooking, because the hostel refrigerator is broken) and a mango.  Then, I walked by food stands until I saw some red bell peppers (with some swirly green spots where they hadn't fully changed) and bought two of those.

Tonight's dinner was a major win for me, as I stir fried the two bell peppers with small strips of ripe mango, sriracha, olive oil and garlic salt.  Really, this hodgepodge only occurred because the refrigerator in my hostel is broken and I knew none of the items would be in good shape if not used immediately, but WOW.  Stir fry your red bell peppers with very ripe mango and sriracha.  Seriously.  Do it.  And to think I almost left the sriracha at home....

Again, ingredients:

-2 red(dish) bell peppers, sliced into stir-fry sized strips
-Olive oil
-Slices of super ripe mango (just a few, because you are also eating the mango as you cook.  To not do so would be a travesty.
-Sriracha
-Garlic salt

Instructions:

-Throw peppers in pan with olive oil.  Add mango as you slice and eat it.  Garlic salt and sriracha to taste (in my case, a lot of both).
-Cook it to the desired texture.
-Take a picture, because it just looks so good.
-Eat.

I mean, just look at that sh*t.  Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment