Friday, July 27, 2012

Crack Soup


Crack Soup (aka Tomato Hot Wing Soup)

*I wrote this in May and forgot to post it...

I came home from work yesterday and created something I deem "crack soup."  I am so sad right now that I didn't make a bigger batch due to its experimental nature.  I almost started licking the bowl in the office I share with five other people...
Anyway, crack soup is my cross between buffalo chicken soup and tomato bleu cheese soup, two recipes I glanced at on the internet when trying to find vegetable-based soup ideas using bleu cheese.  I've never liked bleu cheese, but it makes me sad that there is a whole spectrum of cheeses I have been ignoring for 32 years, so I've decided I will build an affinity to it by gradually introducing it into my diet.  So far, this has been a big success.
Ingredients:
1 can tomatoes with chiles (rotel or store brand)
1 small can sliced carrots (should be half the height of the tomato can)
2-3 cloves garlic, roasted first
onion powder, to taste
2 tbsp hot wing sauce (any kind, I use Kroger's spicy garlic)
2-3 tbsp crumbled bleu cheese
1 chicken tenderloin
1-2 cups tomato juice (optional)
To Make:
Throw canned vegetables in a saucepan on medium.  Cut cloves of garlic into thin strips. Roast garlic with a couple drops or spritz of olive oil.  Add garlic and onion powder to vegetable mix.  Stir.  Add hot wing sauce and bleu cheese. Stir.  Throw in frozen chicken tenderloin.  Leave sitting on medium while you sit in your room chatting on the phone and Facebooking.
After a fair amount of time (15-30 minutes with occasional checks to make sure it's not overcooking), remove the chicken and put the rest of the stuff in the blender on "puree."  Shred the chicken with a fork and mix back in in the saucepan.  Add a cup or two of tomato juice if it's too thick.
If you like bleu cheese, garnish with some.  I am still easing in, so not this time...
Even though I've now written it down for prosperity, I'm still sad to no longer be eating it...

No comments:

Post a Comment